From 6:30 to 9 p.m. Oct. 29, Piper’s Opera House, 12 B St., Virginia City, is presenting its Spirits with the Spirits event to celebrate Halloween.
The evening begins at 6:30 p.m. with a mixology class at Piper’s on how to make two cocktails, including one made with local Cemetery Gin. At 8 p.m., Bats in the Belfry, local paranormal investigators, will lead a spooky tour of the town.
Tickets: $45 for one, $80 for two, $20 for tour only. Sales end 11 a.m. Oct. 29. Purchase/details.
Free dinners at local schools for youth ages 1 to 18
On weekdays during the 2021-2022 term when school is in session, the Food Bank of Northern Nevada is serving free nutritious dinners to children ages 1 to 18 at more than 30 elementary and middle schools in Washoe County.
Visit here for schedule of times and locations (which are subject to change). Kids do not need to be enrolle in a particular school to eat dinner. Details: Food Bank Kids Cafe page or call 775-331-3663.
Drink pink at Atlantis for breast cancer awareness
During October Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Bistro Napa and Atlantis Steakhouse in Atlantis Casino Resort Spa, 3800 S. Virginia St., is offering Lady Rose and Electric Pink cocktails, each $15. Fifty percent of each purchase will be donated to the Nevada Cancer Coalition.
The cocktails a part of the casino’s support for the Cancer Coalition’s monthlong Paint Nevada Pink promotion to stress the importance of breast cancer screening.
Trivia on the menu at Mellow Fellow Sunday event
From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Mellow Fellow pub, 300 E. Second St., local personality Melody Ann Minx is hosting Bubbles, Bacon & Brainiacs. The gathering features drinks, brunch and trivia. Details here.
TMCC presents food and drink classes in November
Truckee Meadows Community College is presenting food and drink classes in October through its Educational Programs Inspiring the Community (EPIC). Visit the EPIC site for class registration/locations/details.
• Wine and Cheese Pairing runs 6 to 8 p.m. Nov 2, 9 and 16 and features sampling of wines and cheeses from various regions to learn about pairing them. Cost: $99 plus $50 materials fee. Register by Oct. 26.
• Gourmet Holiday Chocolates runs 6 to 9 p.m. Nov. 3 and features recipes, gift ideas and hands-on preparation of chocolate truffles. Cost: $59 plus $15 materials fee. Register by Oct. 26.
• Exotic Lamb Dishes runs 6 to 9 p.m. Nov. 4 and features recipes and hands-on preparation of lamb dishes, including exploring spices. Cost: $79 plus $25 materials fee. Register by Oct. 29.
• Taste of Scandinavia runs 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 6 and features recipes and hands-on preparation of Scandinavian dishes with the local Daughters of Norway lodge. Cost: $59. Register by Oct. 31.
• Thanksgiving Sides and Desserts runs 6 to 8 p.m. Nov. 11 and features chef-guided preparation of traditional and modern Thanksgiving courses, plus recipes. Cost: $45. Register by Nov. 4.
• Asian Cocktails runs 6 to 8 p.m. Nov. .15 and features mixology basics to prepare Thai basil mojito, ginger pisco passion, Thai whiskey honey limeade and more. Cost: $59 plus $60 materials fee. Register by Nov. 8.
Johnathan L. Wright is the food and drink editor for Reno News & Review. Follow him on Twitter at @ItsJLW or on Facebook personally or at @FoodNevada. Sign up here for the Reno News & Review free weekly newsletter highlighting our most recent stories.